Tuesday 12 June 2007

Child-Approved Choc Chip Cookies


Since lemon cheesecakes are not always "child friendly", I wanted to bake something else for Quikong's 3 ½ year old niece, J, who was going to be at the birthday party last Saturday night. I decided to make the classic choc chip cookies.

I'm pleased to reported that these cookies got J's approval. It also got two thumbs up from Quikong, who said that "these are seriously good". This is a big deal because he can be quite a harsh critic of my baking and cooking. I thought the cookies were a little sweet for me. It's probably because I prefer to use dark choc in my cookies and I used milk choc for these ones since kids tend to prefer plain/milk choc bits. The texture is perfect though - crispy on the outside but slightly chewy towards the middle.

I placed the cookies in this pretty plastic Chinese take-away box (4 for $2) and it was cute to see J carrying the box around. I bought the little blue dinosaur for J's adorable little 2 months old brother, W.

"Child-Approved" Choc Chip Cookies
from Bill Granger's Sydney Food

125g unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cups brown sugar, tightly packed
1 tspn vanilla essence

1 egg, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups plain flour
a pinch of salt
1 ½ cups chocolate bits/chips


1
Preheat oven to 180
°C. Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Add vanilla and egg and stir to combine. Stir in the sifted flour, baking powder and salt till just combined. Fold through chocolate chips.

2
Place spoonfuls of cookie mixture on a greased and lined baking tray, allowing room for spreading. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until they turn pale gold (tip: DO NOT bake longer than that, unless you want very crispy cookies).


3
Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the tray before transferring cookies on a wire rack to cool further.

Makes about 24 cookies


TIP: I froze half of the cookie dough for another time. Roll the dough into a log and keep in a plastic wrap and foil in the freezer. To bake, thaw slightly and slice into 1 cm think before baking.

15 comments:

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Your cookies look just right - moist and chewy with a perfect amount of chocolate. And I love the take out box - how cute is that!

Anonymous said...

My kids love chocolate chip cookies. These look seriously good!

Anh said...

These will be approved by my greedy BF, too. Any clue on why guys like choc chip cookies so much? :D (I admit I like it, too!)

Anonymous said...

Oh... I feel slightly stupid. Why is it that I never thought about freezing the dough!!
Thanks Nora!

Janet said...

Nora - those look delicious and your picture is great - very original.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Nora, these are delicious! I can see why they were a hit with the little girl. :)

P.S.: What a lovely comment you left on my blog. I missed your posts, too! I knew there would be some delicious food around here when I came back. :)

Mandy said...

I can never complaint about too many chocolate chips cookies and yours looks yummy.

Nora B. said...

Lynn, Kristen, Janet & Mandy - Thanks! Every bite had a few choc chips. I am going to have a lot of fun with the other 3 red take away boxes...

Anh - I think it's because they are still little boys at heart. ;-)

Em - For next time. It's nice knowing that I have a log of cookie dough in my freezer...just in case I get a craving..heh heh

Patricia - I was a bit nervous because you know kids are very truthful. I'm glad she liked it! p/s: I'm looking forward to reading more interesting stories and recipes from you.

Truffle said...

They look delicious and I love the presentation!

Cynthia said...

Since I want to do more baking, I am adding this recipe to my box to try. Thanks Nora, it looks dunkable (lots of milk, or tea or coffee) :)

Aimée said...

Anything that has 'child-approved' in the title is bound to be a hit around here. These look yummy!

Kelly-Jane said...

Your cookies looks so good! and as a Mum of a little one I just love that dinosaur!

Eva said...

Quikong's little relatives are very lucky kids indeed! Can't decide which thing to like more - cookies or dinosaur!

Nora B. said...

Truffle - Thanks! I think I will do this again as a thank you present for a friend.

Cynthia - Do try it and let me know what you think. I prefer them with dark choc bits. Oh, and they are dangerous if you have them fresh out of the oven. Dangerous for the waistline ;-)

Aimée - Thanks! I hope your family will enjoy the cookies.

Kelly-Jane & Eva - I wanted to keep the dinosaur for myself...

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Love it - the cookies, the presentation box and the cute dinosaur on the top. You're probably everyones favourite idea of what an aunty should be like. Amanda