Sunday 25 November 2007

SHF #37: Mango and Apricot Frappé

Mango and Apricot Frappé

The theme for this month’s Sugar High Friday, hosted by Leslie of Definitely Not Martha, is Beta Carotene Harvest. While I love pumpkin and sweet potatoes, with the warm spring weather we are having in Sydney and my short-term goal of staying away from calorie ridden desserts, I chose to do a something refreshing with mango and apricots - fruits that are currently in season down under- which that are also rich in beta carotene.

As I’ve said often, one of the things I enjoy about blogging is learning more about food- and nutrition-related topics. Mangoes and apricots are beautiful to look at because they contain rich deposits of carotene pigments. The carotenes come in many different variations, and range in colour from yellow to deep orange. Beta carotene is a valuable nutrient because it's an antioxidant, and our bodies can convert it into vitamin A.

Here are three ways we can maximise our absorption of beta carotene:
- The beta carotene in certain vegetables/fruits (such as carrots) is more readily available for absorption after cooking.
- For fruits (such as mangoes) that store their carotene pigments in microscopic oil droplets, where they are pre-dissolved, it is presumably much more available for our bodies to absorb them, even when we eat the fruit raw.
- Dried fruits such as apricots provide more than twice the beta carotene than when fresh.
(nutrition information above is taken from here)

I chose to absorb my beta carotene in this liquid “dessert” ;-) Aren't these mini-martini glasses cute? These were gifts from Quikong's mom (Thanks D!!).


Mango and Apricot Frappé
Adapted from Bill Granger’s Bills Sydney Food

2 tbsps caster sugar
4 tbsps boiling water
2 cups ice
1 cup chopped mango
1 cup chopped apricots
2 tspns fresh lime juice
200 ml white rum (or soda water or plain yogurt)
Lime rind

Dissolve the sugar in the boiling water to make a syrup. Blend it with the remaining ingredients till smooth. Serve in a cold glass and garnish with lime rind. Makes 2 large glasses.

Do take a look at the round up by Leslie for SHF #37 here.

~~~~~~~~~

Other Bill Granger inspired recipes I've blogged about:
Passion Fruit Curd
Ricotta Pancakes
Upside-down pineapple and cinnamon cake

13 comments:

Rosa said...

I love the idea of a virtuous dessert with rum in it! That's great news about dried apricots - the fresh apricot season is so short.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

That looks really delicious! I love both mangoes and apricots, so will definitely have to try this (even though it's winter outside!).

Anonymous said...

Gosh that looks great!!!!
I'm sooo jealous! :D

I love the delicate little swirl of lime peel on top of the frappe!

Lucy said...

Lovely, Nora! Now that's something I should be doing too - eating more fruit-based desserts. Aren't the mangoes just gorgeous right now?

Big Boys Oven said...

lovelt fruit cocktail...delicious and so tropic!

Patricia Scarpin said...

What a delicious and refreshing recipe, Nora!
I love the lime rind decoration.

winedeb said...

Yum Nora, so tropical! And will be a great addition to our "beverage treats" during the holidays! Nice photos!

Susan said...

I'd love to be sipping one of these right now, a happy, icy eye opener...w/out the rum, of course! (I've only just gotten up. : ) ) Nice photo, Nora; nice to see you.

Nora B. said...

Rosa - I like that expression "virtuous dessert" :-)

Lydia - I also enjoy the mangoes with white peaches combo.

Maninas - Thanks! It was hard to make the lime peel pose delicately ;-)

Lucy - You won't believe how much stone fruits I've been having. I miss them so much in winter.

BBOven - Thanks. You are right, it does seem tropical with the mango.

Patricia - Thanks. I think I'll make it again this weekend... ;-)

Deb - Thanks. I think I will be experimenting with other fruits. I like experiments that can be consumed :-)

Susan - I like this with yogurt, like a lassi. Good for breakfast. As for my photo, I thought I might put a face to my name, maybe just for a few weeks. :-)

Ann said...

Oh, that makes me wish it were summer again... looks wonderful!

Ann at Redacted Recipes

Gloria Baker said...

Nora I like this dessert too!!! Beutiful pictures!!! Gloria

Pille said...

I love Bill Granger, too, even if I've only got one of his books (so far:)
Beautifully refreshing-looking frappe - ideal for a summer day (which are, sadly, very, very far away)

Nora B. said...

Ann - Thanks. It is a very summery drink.

Gloria - Thank you! I actually find it hard to take photos of things in glasses.

Pille - Thanks. I feel bad about mentioning summer a lot on my blog, but I am so happy that it is summer. I'm a warm weather girl. Winter is nice but somethings makes me feel so lethargic. But come summer, I am an energiser bunny :-)