Friday 4 January 2008

World's Smallest Pineapple Tart

<Kuih Tart - Pineapple Tart


Without fail, whenever I return to Sinagpore, there will be a jar of freshly baked kuih tart, or miniature pineapple tarts, waiting for me. I've eaten these since I was a child. I'm not even sure of the history of this little tart. The word "kuih" usually refers to dessert. I just realised while writing this post that the name "kuih tart" does not make sense because we eat these tarts not for dessert but more as a snack or afternoon tea, and the name also makes no reference to pineapple. But everyone in Singapore and Malaysia knows that kuih tart always refers to these miniature pineapple tarts. In Singapore, they are commonly baked for festive occasions such as Eid, Chinese New Year and even Christmas. The pineapple jam filling is spiced with clove and cinnamon so it smells heavenly when Mom is simmering the jam on the stove.

As I have a busy day ahead of being pampered by my sis (lucky me to have a big sis!), I won't have time to translate Mom's recipe for these melt-in-your-mouth-can't-stop-at-one kuih tart today. But I will do so hopefully before I leave Singapore.


Mom also made these crispy and buttery almond cookies. I'll have to bug Mom for that recipe too because they are addictive. If only Mom wroted down all her recipes, catalogued them and also translated them to English. Maybe that will have to be my next project after I finish my thesis...
Have a great day everyone!!! :-)

20 comments:

test it comm said...

Those tarts are really small. :) I have never seen pineapple jam but it sounds good.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It's so nice to be spoiled by our parents. My dad bakes bread and makes fritters and french fries while mom plies me with cherry pies.The little mini pineapple pies woul be such a wonderful treat on any day!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, enough of this visual torture ;-)
I am taking the next plane to Singapore!

Toni said...

Well, of course you can't stop at one - look at the size of these!!! My mouth literally started watering when I saw the photo.....

Aimée said...

Those tarts look so cute! Pineapple and spices sounds like an amazing combination.

winedeb said...

Nora those little tarts are so cute! They are so small! And the pineapple jam sounds so heavenly! Enjoy your "pampered" day with your mom and sis! Glad to hear you are having such a terrific time!

Anonymous said...

What cute little tarts! I've never seen anything quite like these before, but now I want to try making some myself!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I think I could have it in one bite! YUM!

Abitofafoodie said...

What gorgeous-looking little tarts! Hope you are enjoying being with family in Singapore - Happy New Year!

WokandSpoon said...

These tarts are my favourite too! My mum used to make them all the time when I was young.

Anonymous said...

Oh! How I'd love to have a taste right now! Delicious! Happy New Year!

Best,
Paz

bee said...

have a wonderful 2008, dear nora.

Sophie said...

Very cute! You'll definitely have to bug your Mum for the recipe - pineapple with cloves sounds and cinnamon sounds fab

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Nora,
Those little tarts are soooo cute!
I would love to see your mother recipe book, from what I have seen so far everything seem to be delicious!
Have a great day, Margot

Nora B. said...

Kevin, yeah they're tiny! Pineapple jame is usually used for such tarts rather than with toast as we would with other jams.

Valli, Mom does all the cooking at home while dad took us out to all the best places to eat :-)

Em, I am waiting...

Toni, I usually have 2-3 at a time ;-)

Aimée, yes, the spices do go well with the pineapple, esp when the sugar starts to caramelise.

Deb, thanks, I'll be sure to pass on the comments to my mom. We had a great time at the spa and then we went for a meal in teh city. I was so full, it felt like Christmas day all over again. ;-)

Hannah, aren't they co sucte? I'll have to get cracking on the recipe.

Susan, you got the right idea! :-)

Antonia, thanks. Yes, I have been having a great time. I almost start to feel sad when I count down the days.

Wok & Spoon, oh you were a lucky girl.

Paz, I say that to myself too when I am back in Singapore and the tarts are no longer wihthin my reach. Happy New Year to you too!

Bee, thanks!

Sophie, I'm on to it. But right now, she's given me many requests to make other desserts which she doesn't make herself like tiramisu.

Margot, she has a few notebooks that are now yellow with age and they are written in Malay language. I can't make sense of her short form either! It's hard work trying to read it myself so I just "interview" her each time I need a recipe.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Nora, you've been busy posting. I didn't think you would with being away. Hope you've had a wonderful time with your family.

Again a very Happy New Year to you.
xx

Nora B. said...

Hi Amanda,
Although I am still working on my thesis during my vacation, I seem to have a bit more time to blog because I don't have to do any household chores :-)

Katie Zeller said...

They're so cute!!!!

Eva said...

I remember your sister raving about these little tarts! She also mentioned the labour-intensive process of making them so it's all the more impressive!

Anonymous said...

hi nora,

yr kuih tart looks great. any possibility if you are able to share the recipe. my fav all-time cookie.

many tx!
kk